Friday, March 17, 2006

500!


(Interesting coincidence coming up) I was just discussing the idea that I could take about 100 blog posts and edit them into a semi-coherent narrative and call it a book.. So I started to blog about this and guess what?
Total writer's block. The thought of actually trying to be a writer must've caused it because I can rarely shut up when it comes to writing. (If you've ever received an email from me, you know this is true)

Anyway, I just noticed that this is post #500 on this blog ;a bit of trivia which has uncorked my writing hole. That's a lot of posts. Thanks to everyone who's ever read any of it-even if you hated it. In fact, I kinda miss hate mail- I haven't got any since Casual Republicans started getting hip to the fact that their boy is fucking up.
If you feel like sending that sort of thing please make sure you DO SO USING ALL CAPS IN YOUR MISSIVE, otherwise I may not catch on to the fact that you are angry.

I'm somewhat amazed that I've been blogging so long- before blog I mostly wrote songs and kept a very spotty journal. It's been very interesting- I think I missed the entire point of blog from the beginning, it never occured to me to pick one subject and stick to it. It was, and still is, an almost random mix with a few recurring themes. By the time I figured out I wasn't blogging 'properly', it was too late.

It's a lot like my life.

But my life is becoming more coherent all the time and it follows that my creative work benefit from this. No illusion of Big Famous Me, but it would be nice to at least give it a shot. I know 500 is no huge amount but I like to look at it as a milestone and an incentive to push harder.
Slow, steady and dedicated.

And focused. Stay focused. That's the hard part. I have a million ideas all the time. Just because they aren't good ideas doesn't mean they aren't ideas and they still clutter up my thoughts just as much as my good ideas. Maybe more so.

There's a lot to do.

So I have broken my writer's block.
I shall now reward myself with video games and forget about my little productivity soapbox for a while.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Congratulations Allan on 500 posts… I’m but a newcomer to the blog – but I do like it very much.

And in the name of making you happier – I am going to do my very best to come up with some very nasty emails to send – hang on and let me think of something that really pisses me off… it will naturally have to be something completely unrelated to your blog – after all – isn’t that what most people do? Get completely fixated and pissed about something in their lives – and then use something totally unrelated as a catalyst for their anger? I promise I’ll work on it and send you an email in ALL CAPS.

Get to work on that BOOK in the name of all that is good in the world

Allan said...

"I am going to do my very best to come up with some very nasty emails "

I just broke into a cold sweat and shiver with anticipation...

"let me think of something that really pisses me off…"

Oh. That kind of nasty letter.
Darn!