Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Things To Avoid # 300,012 (in a series of 10)

No matter how bored you get at work DO NOT spend eight hours taking on-line psychological/stress/personality tests. You will find, not surprisingly, that no matter how you answer the questions, the result will be an advertisement for some sort of medication or self-help program. You will be informed that you are quite insane and need immediate help that only the tester can provide- how fortunate for you that they are currently running a 1/2 price sale on Ginseng-Enhanced Snake Oil Extract, Psychic Wart Removal Crystals and Regressive Tapeworm Therapy Guides! Don't buy those products.
Call me.
I will tell you that you are nuts -for free- and I won't try to sell you anything.

I was once so bored I took an on-line IQ test. I was told that my IQ was 170+ , indicating that I was some sort of Super-Brainiac Genius. Pictures of famous Smart People adorned my test results. One of those pictures was of William Shakespeare. This was telling, because Willie himself was a charlatan and a fraud, his plays being penned by Francis Bacon , who was quite a conniving , albeit brilliant son-of-a bitch. Had Bacon's picture appeared on my test results I would've been less sceptical.( Note that the link provided denies that Bacon ghost-wrote for the Bard. Liars!)

Anyway, after I was told how smart I was, I was asked for my credit card info in order for the testing company to send me more detailed information regarding my Genius.
In one sentence they informed me that I was both a Genius and an Utter Fool.
I'm no Genius, but I'm not stupid enough to pay people to tell me how smart I am, so that company was wrong on both counts.

Don't take those tests. They are scams.

What you should do is take me to lunch. It's cheaper and you'll get better advice.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'll admit, it is nothing to be ashamed of - afterall - that I tested "positive" for a personality once... luckily - it was nothing that a strong round of antibiotics couldn't handle.

I'm happy to say now that I am 100% personality free...

Allan said...

Yeah, suuurrrre you are.