Friday, October 29, 2004

No Sorrow

On my last day at work ,I came in twenty minutes late. Normally, that wouldn't be a big deal, but today it made me feel like a big ol' jerk.

Some of my co-workers had set up a surprise party and layed out a major pot-luck spread. Chili, a carrot cake, cupcakes, homeade jalepeno cream cheese and crackers , chicken salad sandwiches and more, more , more. Toss in a few really sweet good-bye cards for good measure.

I can't stress how much this means to me.

They didn't have to do that. It wasn't a Company event, it was just the people I actually worked with, folks who, once we got used to each other, got along quite well. We had two major flood events here and that sent us into crisis mode.

During a crisis, good people put aside all differences and instead work together to resolve the situation at hand. Instead of arguing about inane crap, opposites are forced to react - together- solve problems by working together- don't create new ones while you're trying to fix the old ones.
And it worked. We worked. Maybe a little too well for my paycheck longevity, but it worked.

Folks who greeted me with a cold shoulder said' farewell' with warm wishes - the sincerity came through in the yumminess of the home-cooked foodstuffs.

After turning in my pass-key and ID, I left a 'temp' job I've had for 56 weeks. I had a box of food and gifts from my co-workers in the backseat and a rosy hue permeated the view through my windshield.

It didn't stop me from crying all the way home.

2 comments:

Lyzard said...

HOORAY for people letting you know you are loved and appreciated!

It's about time!

luca said...

I'd throw a party for you if you lived close by, but there would be beer too. I'm happy for you Allen.