Sunday, November 28, 2004

Jonny's Challenge, from Valancy Jane via Nick

The other day I wrote about working with a woman who utilized the exquisite corpse method to compose her conversations.
Then I got this 'challenge', and it kinda fit in with what I was thinking at the time:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Jonny's Challenge(stolen from ValancyJane)
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 23.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal... Along with these instructions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I did. But the book in question, Year's Best Sci-fi, 1996, begins with a lengthy summation; the pages use Roman numerals. I got greedy and posted two sentences:

"If you're really a glutton f0r punishment,you can find lots of other genre 'electronic magazines,' most of them extremely bad, by doing a search of http://www.yahoo.com.arts/humanities/literature/genres....
The next one's from pg.23 of the Gregory Benford story, Immersion:

"Had they memorized the hundred or more tunnels in each mound?"

I like the second one better.



2 comments:

luca said...

now wasn't that fun?

Susannity said...

Mine is from "Kite Runner" by Klaled Hosseini.

"I mean that."