Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Fired Again, Hired Again

I sure do need a real job. This morning I thought I was filling in for a vacationing secretary, which was sorta true. What I wasn't told was that I'd be working in a loud-ass industrial environment. Giant bulk-mail machines running all the time, at a volume that makes the Chicago subway seem as quiet as whispering grass in a secluded glade. Everyone was yelling. I know that yell- my ol' roomie used to dress-up in monster outfits and sing for a band called Gwar. He never protected his hearing, consequently he's deaf as a post. He always yells.

At lunch-time, I noticed my ears were ringing. I've got some audio production work tonight, and I can't do that with ringing-of-ears. I couldn't find a boss anywhere, so I drove round the corner and talked to Agency Girl.

She was very angry- no one else complains about the noise- why am I whining about it?

Trying very hard to refrain from calling her a "bitch-person", I explain that the other temps probably don't free-lance as audio engineers. I've been playing/producing music for 20 years, and I always use
aural protection.
Always.
My ears are my life. Can't you find me a nice quiet damncube somewhere?

"Sorry, Mr. C******, we will have to remove you from our roster. You've walked off of too many jobs".

Fine. Whatever. I go home.

The phone rings. It's Agency Bitch. Would I be interested in stuffing envelopes at Crapital One for $9 an hour? I reminder her that that is one of the jobs I've walked out on. Once again I go into my spiel: It's gotta be $15+ an hour. I'm only looking for administrative work. No labor, no mailings, no call-centers, no warehouses and no drug-tests.
I'm good enough to get away with my attitude.

Would I like to be placed back into active status?

Sure. Why not?

Jeez, what a screwed-up work relationship.

1 comment:

Susannity said...

what kind of agency is this lol?! they only make money when they place someone, and they know you are capable of fetching the larger dollar amounts which means more moola for them, yet they play these silly games with you?! I'm telling you, look around for other agencies! I'm not sure about where you live, but here in Seattle, we have agencies that don't even carry jobs stuffing envelopes, it's only higher end stuff. Perhaps there are similar types of outfits near you?