Thursday, August 30, 2007

Update

My grandmother made it through the surgeries. My hat is off to the great docs at Winchester Memorial who saved her life by finding some previously over-looked problems. Tuesday, she was as white as the Blogger post field- last night her color had returned and she was lucid, if exhausted. With luck, she'll be home by next week. I'm home now.

This morning I noticed my left driver-side tire was bald on the edge to the point of showing mesh. The other three are like-new. I just drove 700 interstate miles with a tire that could blow any second- I think my tires were seriously pushed out of alignment when I hit that deer- the wear is extreme. It was pulling hard to left too...and it's leaking oil. Great.

Hopefully I'll have something less utilitarian and more entertaining to write soon- right now I'm putting together a database for the radio station because I miss my spreadsheets so much...it should keep me busy for a little while and help keep my as-yet unwanted job skills sharp!

Thanks for all the well wishes and emails and stuff. I hope everyone is well and I hope I'll be back around shortly.

6 comments:

Citymouse said...

Good news! Glad to hear it!

yellowdoggranny said...

should have read this post first..so glad everything worked out...will still run and say some prayers..

AC'63 said...

Glad to hear your Gran is doing better. Keep well and drive safely.
Whats the cost on retread tires in the states? Here you can get a half decent on for between $30 and $50 .. its the alignment that kills you.

more cowbell said...

Allan, I hope your grandmother continues to improve -- she's had a rough ride this year. I know she's glad you've been there for her through all of this.

The car alignment thing is a bitch...

AngelConradie said...

shooeeee... sounds like your guardian angel worked hard!

Allan said...

Thanks everyone. It's a non-stop up-down- she's been sick as long as I recall. "Any day now" has been her Damoclean Sword for 17 years...still has her humor, though!

The car...hitting a deer at 55 mph did a lot more harm than I thought-the damage becomes obvious on the freeway. Thank Godzilla my Twin has a good job and is generous enough to loan me money. It'll get fixed.