Sunday, January 06, 2008

Trumpets


I had my first radio show of 2008 this morning. Tonight I will attend my first band rehearsal in over seven years and tomorrow I will go to work in the morning for the first time in nearly six months.

Work! I don't know what I'm doing, it's a five-day temp agency gig; forty hours, gotta wear a tie...a tie? That's cool. A tie isn't so bad, and I need the paycheck something fierce- I'd wear a freakin' loincloth if it meant a forty-hour week.

The New Breakfast Snob, Sun Jan 6th 2008


Clarence Fountain & Blind Boys- Lift Me Up
The show preceding mine is contemporary urban gospel. I prefer my gospel old-school.
Bonus points if the 'god' referenced in the song is Zeus.

Jade Warrior- Water Curtain Cave
Who were these guys?

Chieftains- Battle of Aughrim
From their fourth album. Since then, the Chieftains have recorded or appeared on at least six million records.

Loreena McKinnett- Mystic's Dream
This is a beautiful song. I sit raptly and listen.

Leo Kottke- Vaseline Machine Gun
I saw a video of my blogpal Sling playing the guitar...I said, "I'll be damned. I know what Sling listened to when he learned to play." More players should listen to this crusty old LP.
This is great stuff, especially the wicked slide... a swell armadillo!

Bruce Cockburn- You Pay Your Money and You Take Your Chance
Oh geez dude...it's Co-burn, not , um...the other way. Don't say that on the radio.

Jefferson Airplane- Comin' Back To Me
This song can make you pregnant.

Mitch 'Aitch' Price- Love Rollercoaster
You really got me rollin', that ain't tellin' no lie
Um...that's a double negative. Does that mean he's lying?
Love confuses me. Grammar too. See?

Bob Dylan - Gotta Travel On
Sometimes I dream of being a hobo. I need a vacation almost as much as I need a job.

Pogues- Blue Heaven
The happy melody is at odds with the lyrics.
Cheers!

Fred Frith- Navajo
Swedish avant-garde guitar with a Native American twist. My favorite genre.

Claanad- Gathering Mushrooms
This band went on to become Ireland's Fleetwood Mac. I like this simpler, traditional approach.

Snakefinger- Cryin' for my Baby
From a European show, probably before he died. Tip o' the blog to Schlep...check out his site for more Fallentown observations.

Pentangle- Mirage
I play this fairly often. Two reasons: a) it's hauntingly beautiful and b) it's exactly two minutes long, which is great for filling gaps in my 'programming'.
Hi- tech, eh?

10 CC- Hospital Song
This is for my grandmother, who is even more awesome for understanding that I need to be at home today, playing music - not in the hospital, waiting for news. Life has to go on.

Bob Marley- Want More
Peter Tosh - You Can't Blame The Youth
I hope the new band can play reggae. I've been working on playing waaak-kow *chikka* waaak-kow in threes.

Miles Davis- It Aint Neccesarily So
From a 1958 LP I found...somewhere. Gershwin.

Can- Mushroom
Avant kraut rock that isn't Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream. Real instruments.

Damien Demsey - Celtic Tiger
One of favorite songs by one of my favorite contemporary artists.

Neil Young - Sail Away
Ditto comment above. Neil never faded away, he just sang about it.

Brian Eno - On Some Faraway Beach
I read an article where Brian Eno claims that playing AI-based video games makes you smarter...Civ IV beckons. Having a job is gonna cut into my ensmartening time.

Robert Wyatt- Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road
I just noticed that I've had a lot of trumpet activity in this set. Trummmmpetttt...

Billie Holliday & Louis Armstrong- Dream a Little Dream
I know, I know...

Dave Brubek- Things Ain't What They Used To Be
Trumpets and Ain't. Lots of both today.

Soweto Gospel Choir- Many Rivers To Cross
Dude. December 31st I had a bug up my ass about getting 2007 postmarks on a few packages. For some reason it was very important to me...anyway, I walked to my nearby post office- they had no padded envelopes in the size I needed, so I had to walk to a nearby drugstore, a five minute trip...I was back in the Post Office's anteroom, writing addresses on the parcels when I heard a *ch-chunk*...they had locked the service room! They were closing early. The main branch was still open; a ten minute drive. (Thirty if the road I need is blocked, which it is)
I get to the main branch with a half-hour to spare.
The line stretches out the door. It's crunch time.
Thirty minutes later I'm telling a disgruntled postal worker about my problems...please, please don't shut the door on me...I need those postmarks!
Amazingly, she lets me in.

XTC- Dying
Happens to the best of us.

Plea for Hits: I need 'hits' on my program blog. Make me look popular here, please. Cheating? Yeah, but everyone does it... I'm getting killed over here.

17 comments:

billy pilgrim said...

my blue heaven? i've now got a song to chase.

i find it easier to dress well and sluff off than to work hard and dress poorly. pick out a nice tie.

Allan said...

Ah geeez...it's just "Blue Heaven"...I need to type what I read, not what I hear. I share your fashion sense/work ethic- I'm taking my clipboard too...it's the best prop ever.

AngelConradie said...

what a fantabulistic selection dude... i really must make a plan to listen to your show somehow.

i am so excited for you allan- a new band and a job... brilliant start to 2008!

yellowdoggranny said...

ahh, it's good to know that all the lighting of candles and praying to the Goddess has paid off...ohh, i love the blind boys from alabama..and the chieftans

yellowdoggranny said...

i like the congalese music..i clicked on you 10 times and will go back during the day and keep clicking...kay?

Allan said...

Angel- Thanks! It streams at wrir dot org , Sunday 7 am USA east time...

JS- Yay for candles and Congolese music! Check out some of our other shows too, share the wealth...

Sling said...

Good score on the band and 40 hour tie thing buddy!
..thanks for the Armadillo nod too. :)

Anonymous said...

Boy am I pissed! I was totally awake when you were on and I didn't even know it. (thumps head)
Also, Leo Kottke makes me all snuggly. (:
Great playlist! HOlY SHIT totally great playlist.

Lyzard said...

Clicky... clicky... clicky.
Happy to help.

Congrats on the work gig - Jung may have been right after all. :)

AC'63 said...

Break a leg with the temp job, gig, and wearing a Tie! .. please no loin cloth

whimsical brainpan said...

I hope the job goes well.

Allan said...

Sling- Da bastards are all ready shorting me...

Hat- Up late? Glad you liked the list...my radio show has more readers than it does listeners
*sigh*

AC- I made a loincloth out of my best tie.

Whim- It was...it was.

CS said...

I clicked! Can we do that more than once?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job. Hope you like it! And on your radio show and your rehearsal, too, congratulations. Am now off to leave the requested comment...

Craig D said...

Congrats on all that is good! You can't lose them all, buddy.

As far as your plea for hits...

It's lots of fun to hit the "refresh" button on my browser and watch the hit count increase. I got it to go from "51" to "100" in less than a minute!

Do you have a "Red Robin" restaurant near you..?

TiG said...

Allan, congratulations on the fantabulous auspicious beginning of 2008!

It's been a long time since I heard me some Jefferson Airplane. Since the S.O. is fixed I might chance listening to it. ;)

Allan said...

CS- Thanks! It sure looks like it.

C- Our comment feature got spammed into the ether...but thanks for clickin'!

CD-ha! You weren't kiddin'! That's hilarious...I didn't know it allowed that- too funny!

I wish I had a Red Robin...but I do have a freezer fulla edible meatstuffs!

TG- Thanks! Fingers crossed all around...fixed?