Sunday, December 13, 2009

Smiling Neuroses



*Ring*

"Hello"? 

I was hoping it was an imaginary phone call but the voice on the other end was very real.

"Hey. I just wanted to let you know that I'm still depressed", said the voice in a muted feminine monotone, "but I'm not mad at you."

"Well, gee. I know why you are depressed- and it's stupid-  but I can't imagine why you would be mad at me."

"Because you think I'm stupid to be upset."

I can't divulge the details of the 'upsetting' story here, so I'll paraphrase below.

" Hmmm. Let me see if I understand your problem: You have told a dozen well-intentioned  and seemingly harmless lies in order to avoid hurting the feelings of a certain individual...your unsustainable web of white lies became unraveled and your actions were revealed to that individual, who , it turns out , doesn't care at all. They weren't hurt in the slightest...but the people you lied to are now having a hard time trusting you. Is that accurate?  If so, I'd call that stupid."

There was a long pause.

"You aren't very comforting."

**************************************

The music, however, goes on.

I'm proud to announce the release of the first run of Limited Edition and highly- collectible Monday Machines merchandise. As Cary Grace points out, we don't actually have any music to promote yet, but we do have products to support it. Music, the savvy consumer knows, is secondary to the products that it markets, so we have skipped the music and gone directly to merchandising.

We offer you Ruined Morning coffee mugs. Make a statement- buy one for all the 'morning people' in your life!

**************************************

When we do finish the CD, it will debut on my radio show. Until then, there is no shortage of good music to play.

THE NEW BREAKFAST SNOB: DEC. 12th, 2009



Radiohead- Paranoid Android-OK Computer (Capitol Records)
My CD burner decided that this song needed to be 45 seconds longer than Radiohead intended...OK, computer, OK.  It was the first in what was to be two hours of  surmountable technical difficulty

Moody Blues-Dear Diary-Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (Threshold Records)
Today I took a walk...and looked at the shoppes. What did people do before they had Twitter?
What a day it's been.

Renaissance-Can You Understand?--Ashes Are Burning (Sovereign/Capitol Records)
I got a phone call about this- a positive call!

>>>>>> Insert crashing sounds and off-air cursing here

Mellow Candle-Heaven Heath-Swaddling Songs (Esoteric Records)
If you click the link , you will learn everything I know about Mellow Candle.

Black Box Recorder-It's Only the End of the World-England Made Me (Jet Set Records)
This song has the exact same drum machine beat as the song after it...

Damien Dempsey-It's All Good--Seize the Day (UFO Records)
 ...same drum machine as the preceding song, played back to back, it sounds like an extended  mix .

Cursive-Bad Sects-The Ugly Organ (Saddle Creek)
Gay priest's love story.

NEU!-After Eight-'75 (Astralwerks)
Pronounced.

Hawkwind-Angela Android-Take Me To Your Leader (Hawkwind)
If I had known that this song was about having sex with a robot I never would have played it. Too late now.

Alan Parsons Project-The Cask of Amontillado-Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Mercury)
 Spoiler alert: Unhappy ending.

The Pretty Things-Dear Beloved-Balboa Island (ZOHO Roots)



Ugly Head ( RIP, Jack Rose )-Evil Over- Silence is the Mystery of the Future Age (Transparanoia Records)
I worked with Jack during the recording of this CD. My distorted scream starts  the song...those were good times. He will be missed.

Tuxedomoon-59 to 1-A Thousand Lives by Picture (Ralph Records)
 Somehow 45 seconds of this song attached themselves to the end of every song on my CD. It was confusing.

Jim Protector-The Distance-Shields Down (Switch Off)
 Safety in mileage.

Nouvelle Vague-Ever Fallen in Love?-Bande a Part (Luaka Bop)
 Buzzcocks cover done lounge...no one knows what a 'Buzzcock' is-no one except me and Robert Hughes. Google it for wrong answers.

David Lindley-Papa Was a Rolling Stone-Very Greasy (IRS)
Hi Dad!

Michelle Malone-Grace-Beneath the Devil Moon (Velvel)
Have you ever heard Malone work a wah with Band du Soliel? Awesome.

Cary Grace-The Scarab-Perpetual Motion (Door 13 Music)
I can't believe that I'm working on a CD with the mad sorceress who produced the amazing double-CD that this song is from. Pinch me.

>>>>>> Ow! Forget the pinchin' mention.

The Band-Twilight-Best of the Band (Capitol Records)

Jeannine Hebb-Only Ones-Too Late to Change Me (Jeannine Hebb)
Bouncy, intelligent pop song...harder to pull off than it sounds.

Fiona Joyce-Lifting the Veil-Lifting the Veil (River Valley Records)
Lush sounds...

Mythica-My Magdalene-Vicarious (Mythica)

Jenn Cleary-Doesn't Make Sense-Breakin' Loose (Independent)
Brilliant observations about the organized superstition known as Church.

Fairport Convention- Billion Dollar Bash-Fairport Chronicles (A&M)
Oooo baby...ooo wheee!

2 comments:

secret agent woman said...

The photo reminds me of a John Prine song:
"A bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down, and won.
And it was twelve o'clock when I realized I was having no fun."

AngelConradie said...

Love the mug!
And I like this: http://www.cafepress.co.uk/mondaymachines.417448844#

So what is a buzzcock?