Monday, August 30, 2004

Drowning Richmond

I wish I had built an ark at work instead of spending all my time on-line. Tropical storm Gaston has dumped over ten inches of rain on us, and it's still coming down. Getting home took ninety minutes-usually it takes fifteen. Stranded cars everywhere! Interstate 95 is closed-up to 51/2' of water in places.
News update-now it's fourteen inches of rain. Gaston just sorta stopped here.Hovering for hours. We got tornados. We got evacuations. We got floods.
Think about it. Fourteen inches of rain in five hours. The ground is already saturated. The soil isn't firm enough to hold trees up in many places. The lightning doesn't help.
I can honestly say I've never seen this much rain . (Hurricane Isabel was 4-5 inches of rain)

I was driving my little Honda through rivers that used to be intersections, did a 360 hydroplane. Got through it OK, but man, was I shook up. My brakes and steering just died, so I sat for a while, hoping the rain would stop. Tree branches were bouncing off my roof, so maybe walking home wasn't a great idea. Car started up, made it home.

The police can't get anywhere-their cars stall, so firetrucks are everywhere, preventing people from driving into flood areas.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.

2 comments:

Canopenner said...

Thats a nightmare man.

Yet you still have internet?

Allan said...

Yep. Power too! No cable, but TV sucks anyway.
No power at work so I got the day off. I thrive on disaster!