Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Free Day

Arriving at work this morning I noticed a lot of people sitting at the picnic tables outside. Naturally I assume they're all waiting for me so they can remind me that I'm late again, but I'm wrong. The power is out. That's cool, I carry a miniature library in my car, so I'm ready to sit outside and read all day.
But it's getting hot and very humid and there's nowhere to sit that doesn't involve a mud bath.

I start thinking about policy-holders dealing with flooded basements and mud-filled automobiles. They might want to speak to a claims rep. I call my boss on a borrowed cell-phone, he says be ready to stay late tomorrow, but I can take the day off today. Cool.

On the way home, I stop at the beautiful Maymont park. It's a sort of small-town version of Central Park, but without as many creepy people and jogger-types. Walk down a hill past the livery and stables and sploosh! into a newly-minted flood plain. I wanted to check on the state of the Japanese garden on the other side of the park, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a total wash.

I watch the world's second saddest bobcat for a bit. He just stands motionless inside his enclosure, like he can't think of a single reason to do anything. I can relate. I've got nothing better to do either. We look at each other. I read his walnut-sized mind. I'm stuck in a cage. What's your excuse? Eventually I realize I'm standing in the sun, wearing all black. Time to go.

At least I've got power and phone. I live directly across the street from a hospital, so my little piece of the grid gets pronto service. I've been told that living near a hospital is bad Feng Suey or chi or something , but to me the downside mostly involves sirens.

What I'd really like to do is sit on the porch and smoke one, but my new neighbor is a cop. She looks mean and doesn't return greetings when we pass. She reminds me of my old probation officer, which is not at all good. I'm nervous about playing music too loud, which is really the only good way to play. Even the guitar players in whiny-ass pussy 'emo' bands like to play loud. Those guys should try playing a song without using a chorus pedal at least once, but I digress.

I suppose I'll go outside and see if my cats can swim.



No comments: