Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Not Ruined

Had a letter on my desk this morning that started ,"Dear Mr. xxxx, grab a cup of coffee, sit down and take a deep breath, because I'm about to ruin your day". Gee, thanks.

Ha ha! You didn't even come close to ruining my day -nice try though. It's just paperwork; I'm glad to have something to do and a long letter to read. This woman was in her kitchen during the hurricane and she gets up to fetch a radio from the other room- just at the exact moment the massive brick end-chimney falls into the kitchen, destroying anything. Looking at the photos, there's no way she could have survived had she been there. Lucky ,lucky lady.
Sorta, anyway. Her house was a historical landmark (built circa 1740) and it's a total loss, despite the best efforts of three different contractors. As she states ," ...this was not a walk in the park". We are building her a very nice new home, but it won't be the same, I'm sure.

At the end of her letter she gives me high praise and gushing thanks for all the help over the last 11 months. That kinda made my day instead of ruining it.

I did something good, and it wasn't very hard to do. Maybe I'm not hopeless after all.

3 comments:

Lyzard said...

Hopeless? You?

C'mere let me smack you for that. You know as well as I do, if not better than I do, that you are not hopeless.

Hopeless people don't care if they do good. You do.

Allan said...

Did I say hopeless? My mistake. I meant to say 'Prince of the Lower Realms' instead.

Allan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.