Thursday, October 14, 2004

Safer Now

This morning I get a call from the Temp Agency. Please report to their office before I go to work. They need to 'update' my file. I worry that it's a drug test, or that my current assignment is over.
It's neither. They need to update my I-9 form. Today. Now.This means they lost it and either were just audited or are waiting to be audited by INS/IRS/ETC. (It's that form that asks for proof of eligibilty to work in the USA-if you've ever had a legit job, you've filled one out). Anyway, I don't have a Social Security card- I've got an old Statement of Benefits (S.O.B) with my SSN on it-they don't print it on the new versions-so I bring that as my second ID. I spent some time as a recruiter for Census 2000, and we were told to accept that document in lieu of a SS card.

So I hand this to Desk Girl.

Sorry, we can't accept this, it doesn't have your full SSN on it it.

Me, pointing to my SSN on the form: This is from 2000. That's before they stopped printing it on them.

No, I'm sorry, we need an official document with your complete SSN on it.

That's what I just handed you!

She doesn't even look at it, just returns it and says I need to return with the proper SSN proof.

I've been working the same temp assignment for 54 weeks, and now, today, I need to prove I'm eligible to work in the USA?

Yes.

So I trek to the SS office. Wait. Wait. Wait.
Get called to counter. Reach for driver's license and realize I've left it with the intractable Desk Girl. Crap.
Social Security Lady notices I'm wearing an employee ID around my neck and says they can accept that, as long as it has my picture and SSN on it.
Well, OK.

Recap: A picture ID that could be made at home in under five minutes is enough to get a SS card with whatever number you choose to put on it. Using the fake SSN card one could , with a little effort, procure a Driver's permit, a Passport or a credit card.

I feel much safer now.

No comments: