Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Good, Bad ,Whatever

First the good news. This won't take long. I called my old boss from State Farm to give him a 'heads-up' that I'd used him as a reference-he said he'd give me an excellent recommendation. He should. I did some of my best blogging at that job. Then he reminded me that this Hurricane Season is supposed to be really bad and he'd ask for me if we get stormed. I hope a class 4 'Cane pounds Richmond into rubble. (We could call it Hurricane Grant) That's at least a years worth of $1,000 a week overtime pay.

The downside of this is that thousands of people will have their homes and property destroyed. That always sucks. Since property values in some parts of town have nearly doubled over the last year , many unfortunates will find themselves with inadequate coverage ( Homeowners in storm-ridden states take note!)
Believe it not, Old Boss told me that many folks who got flooded out by Isabel decided not to buy flood insurance- most of Richmond rarely, if ever floods. These risk-loving homeowners got flooded again by Trop. Storm Gaston. I bet that many of them are still trying to get help from FEMA.
What a bummer. I'd spend months acting as liaison between clients and contractors, scanning the before/after photos into their file and tracking the progress of the repairs until they were complete. Yay! The house looks great. Sure is raining hard, though.
Was that a sofa I just saw floating down a suburban street? It looks like the one in this photo.

And I'm sick of hearing how lucky the survivors of the Air France crash are. If they were really lucky, they wouldn't have been in a airliner wreck in the first place. I can hardly wait for the inevitable made-for-TV movie.

Hmmm... here's a thought for the 2006 election. Put all the candidates on an AirBus and crash it into a mountain-side. At 700 mph. The survivors get elected. The empty seats are replaced by cats and dogs randomly selected from shelters. Maybe a few baboons as well, if any are available. How much worse could it be? Could you even tell the difference?

No comments: