Monday, August 08, 2005

Puddle v. Pebble, Pete v. Pope

A quick review of my finances has forced me to call the temp agency. Wadda ya know? They need someone to fill-in for a vacationing secretary. Only 5 days, but that's OK-it's decent pay.

Huh? Can I come in and take a drug test?
Never mind. Call me if something else comes up.

I hang up the phone and start counting backwards from one hundred.

At 68, the phone rings. It's Temp Girl.

Can I start tomorrow morning and work until Friday? Turns out they need someone now and are willing to forego the pissing-in-cup thing. See ya in the morning.
What a stupid game we play, the Agency and I.
They offer a job and tell me I need to pee-test.
I say- no, thank you very much.
They call back and waive the test.

I bet they just input my data as "Tested-Clean" and charge their clients a testing fee anyway.

Really. No matter how lowly the corporate position, it generates ripples of corruption. Depending on the relative size of the pebble vs. the puddle, these can quickly escalate into tsunami-size waves.

--------

Being unemployed lets one catch up on daytime TV. Yippee.
Weird development- CNN seems to be relying on Bloggers for a lot of it's content. They've got a couple perky lasses who actually report on what the blogs are saying.
Problem: They only "report" on issues that are already in the headlines. For example, the blogs all agree that Peter Jennings is dead. Cable news reports confirm this. On the ball, they are.
I bet that the mainstream media and the blogs also agreed that Pope JP died and stayed dead. And Reagan? He obviously wasn't the Messiah, 'cause the press kept watch on his corpse for weeks, and it didn't rise fom the grave even once.
Breaking News: Marilyn Monroe is also dead.

1 comment:

Susannity said...

what?! are you sure?!

you need a new contract agency. when i was a contractor, i never had to pee for anyone but myself.