Friday, April 14, 2006

Apple Polly Gee

Oh boy. I feel like a total schmuck.
I had to update this because I feel really bad.

An old pal asked me to read a "fan fiction" novel he wrote based the Red Dwarf TV show. Ok.
The book is awful.
I don't know much about Red Dwarf but I ran a comic shop for eight years so I'm somewhat of an expert in matters of awful fan fiction.

So I vented some long-standing grudge here earlier- he won't read this- while I tried to decide how to kindly lie to him about his book-which is almost unreadable.
He kinda screwed me when I wrote a 100-page story for him years ago- but I should get over that and try to find something helpful to say.
Anything.

So he calls me.

His wife has left him and taken the kids. He's living in Newark with his mom and all his money is gone. His life is a total ruin and the last thing he needs to hear is my asshole remarks about his crappy book. But it's just a phone and it's his life and there's nothing I can do to help. I have no advice worth giving- all I can do is listen. He really misses his kids. It's painful to hear.
Bummer.
I knew she was gonna screw him, but what can you say? I don't know.



Tomorrow a group of my friends is having a BBQ/Keg party w/ bands and stuff. It should be a lot of fun but it's for a sad cause. It's a fundraiser for an old friend who has found herself homeless.
She used to own a house- now she has nothing. It's a long story and it's not mine to tell, but she has a history of bad luck and/or fucking up. Only once have I reminded an ex- felon that an illegal gun -that unregistered .45 right there on the dresser for example- is an automatic five -year 'vacation'.

My homeless pal was that ex- felon. Bad luck. Poor judgement. Trouble.

Still, she's a good person- she just hates herself and insists on ruining her life despite her ability to do good things. It's really sad and there's nothing to be done about it.
A party might raise the rent money for her, but nothing can change her except herself.
We've tried. I've tried. Failed.
So we have a party instead.

Hey! Snap out of it- you'll see a lot of friends you never get to see anymore. Weren't you just whining about never seeing your friends?
You depress the hell out of me sometimes.

Go have fun and stop being such an asshole.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Allan said...

On me.

em0 said...

When I've been whining about homework and yucky food I always feel so good reading about people who have a HELLISH life. Or do I?

Allan said...

Charlie, that's probably good advice, but I am very stubborn when it comes to my real friends- I keep hoping that one day it'll all be ok for everyone and I find it hard to give up on people that aren't me. Stupid, eh?

Em, it could always be worse, although I must admit that the image of mashed sunflower,rat's ass and burnt rice is pretty bad indeed.

GT said...

We journalists must spread the painful truth. Even if in my case in particular free pdf is my number one fan... Writers block sucks even more when complete monsense is ones specialty... Almost makes me think Im Sane? Keep on Truckin, Keep on Keepin On