Sunday, April 23, 2006

My Sunday School

Usually when I record a band I mix in a different room than the one the musicians play in -but today I sat in the studio room while they played. It was just a couple, a guy and a girl taking turns playing guitar and hand drum- I've recorded dozens such acts, some really good, some not good - but there was something different about these two. They are both good players and singers, but there's more to it than that.
As soon as I they started playing it became clear just how much in love they are. I know that sounds cheesy, but it wasn't ...it was ...weird. Good. Very large.
Not like some mushy Hallmark sentiment card, but a deep spiritual connection so powerful that even the most jaded cynic can't help noticing that there is really something happening besides the music- something that cannot be recorded- and it can only be experienced first-hand. Maybe that's why I decided to sit in the studio today- not really sure.

After a sound check my comments to the musicians are usually something like:

"That guitar sounds nice" or "can you turn down?"

Today I heard them play one song.

My comment?

I looked at them and said:

"I have been looking for that my entire life."

I think they both knew what I meant, and that my remark had nothing at all to do with the song they had just played or the recording in progress.

It was a good session.

4 comments:

Amy said...

i worry about keeping it, not finding it. probably why i can't seem to keep it.

Allan said...

it's easier to just give up

Susannity said...

lmao Charlie hehe.

that is a cool moment to recognize Allan. To me, that is the biggest step to "finding" IT.

Allan said...

Don't encourage Charlie, Susanne- you just make it worse...

I jest- his site is chock-a-block with good stuff ( and a few photos of dubious origin)-it's Highland Dreams over on the links.