Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Big Brother's Vacant Stare

I am growing increasingly disenchanted with work. This new 'motivational' poster isn't helping.

We had a New Guy that I actually liked, but he quit last week, after working less than a month. That is about as long as anyone lasts at this job.
Except me. I've been here a combined total of about two years.

I've had this job three times, once as a temp, then again twice as a regular employee. I quit last winter and failed at a new job, only to be re-hired - good thing too, since I was broke...I've had a few leads and even an interview elsewhere since then, but nothing has panned out yet. I keep my eyes and ears open but so far no matter what I do, I keep winding up at the same desk.

It's the Ant Lion at the bottom of my career funnel.

Today I gave stacking training. Stacking training is the process of explaining how to stack objects of various sizes, shapes and weights, such as boxes and office equipment. Generally, one places the larger and heavier objects on the bottom of any given stack, with the items growing smaller and lighter toward the top.

Take the following objects:

-Three big boxes full of paper.
-One big box, empty
-A fax machine

If you stack them in any order than the reverse as listed, you are inviting trouble.



There was trouble.


11 comments:

Sling said...

Not so fast dammitt!..okay,..Big thing at the bottom..

CS said...

Not only would that poster not motivate me, it owuld freak me out on a daiy basis. ANd make it impossible to concentrate on the stacking training, which is a very funny idea.

Anonymous said...

I think you're wrong. I'm going to put the fax machine in the middle and see what happens.

AC'63 said...

You make my job sound wonderful .. thank you. Oh .. I just got told to f**k off again by a irate person on the phone.

AngelConradie said...

sheesh...
fot the wuck is that poster supposed to motivate you to do- drink more coffee in order to blur your vision so you can't see the eyes anymore- at least not during office hours...??!? i would speak to someone if i were you... i think I'M going to have nightmares just from seeing it on your blog!
i'm sorry you're not work happy... i've been there, and i got lucky- i love my work now.
as for packing... watching things fall is fun too innit?

Allan said...

Sling,
That's the gaping maw of Success.

CS,
That's not a real poster. It's a **** ****** that I propped up on my monitor as a joke. I think that I must be very difficult to work around.

JP- Hired!

AC- Not having a phone is one of the best things about my job.

A- Nah, it's a joke, I put it there myself...I'd quit without thinking twice were it otherwise.
Still, I gotta get outta there...
Ten years ago it was easy to find good jobs- today, not so much.

Faerie said...

okay .. i dont mean to be mean to anyone.. but THAT was fucking obvious that the PAPER went on the bottom!

*sigh*
now i see why its frustrating!

more cowbell said...

It's the Ant Lion at the bottom of my career funnel.

you made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

when i worked for the Big Brown Package Delivery People, i had a lesson on stacking as well. (i loaded tractor trailers).

not quite brain surgery.

you should come work with me. the pay is okay, the work environment is mercurial, and the cost of living is RIDICULOUS. but i have health insurance. okay, even that is borderline.

POTPIE!

yellowdoggranny said...

it would take about 29 minutes of looking at that poster for me to go screaming down the hall and out of the building..ah put the machine on top...live dangerously

whimsical brainpan said...

Creepy poster!

And you should know by now there is always trouble.