Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunday, Monday...

Monday morning, 7:30 AM : I am awakened by a call from the pharmacy. The pharmacist explains that my insurance only covers a 60 day supply of certain drugs, and my refills are not covered. I will need to get my doctor to authorize them- which I thought he did when he wrote the scrips in the first place- I have 2 and 3 refills on my respective meds.

"Oh, you can still have the medicine, it just isn't covered", the pharmacist tells me. "You will need authorization and that usually takes a few weeks."

A few weeks? I am out of pills. I can't wait a few weeks.

"How much do my scrips cost without insurance?", I ask.

"$280."

"$ 280! How much for just one of them?"

"Oh, that is just one. Together it will be $410."

Then my alarm clock goes off- between my early awakening, the bad financial news and the clock's sudden screeching , I am so rattled that I drop the phone. I'm exhuasted, my nerves are shot and I haven't even showered yet.

Ironically, the medicines in question are intended to treat insomnia and anxiety.

I can already tell that this week is heading for the toilet. At least I had a good weekend. I'm going to need those memories to sustain me, because I sure as hell can't afford drugs- even with insurance and a prescription, I can't have my pills.

My doctor's office hates the insurance company, but they tell me they can't change the rules. Instead, my doc calls in two "substitute" scrips for medications that don't work nearly as well as the ones I've been taking. In a few weeks, after my authorization is processed, I can go back to taking the pills that work.

Until then, I'll have to survive on the fumes from Sunday's show.

THE NEW BREAKFAST SNOB, June 10,2007:


Snakefinger- Jesus Gave Me Water/Move
My copy of 'Night of Desirable Objects' is signed by Snakefinger.One of my few material treasures. Man, he sure could play.

Black Sabbath - Am I Going Insane?
Yes, Ozzy, you are. One day you will be more well-known for being on "reality TV" than for Black Sabbath. No wonder you flipped out.

Steeleye Span- Celtic Inferno
Burn, baby, burn!

Dire Straits- Lady Writer
You broke my heart. Twice.

Alan Parsons Project- The Tell-Tale Heart
When you were done, you buried the evidence under the floorboards, where it continues to haunt you to this day. You can try to run away, but you'll always hear the beating of my hideous heart.

Manzanera/Eno/801 Live- Tomorrow Never Knows
Relax. Maybe things will improve. Maybe they won't.

Frank Zappa- Dirty Love
The poodle bites.

Emmylou Harris- Here I am
Right here. Easy to find and the door is open. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Steve Hillage- Wait One Moment
One moment. Not five years. One moment.

Briege Murphy- Cloghinne Winds
Add another name to my list of hopeless crushes...sigh. What a pretty song. I wish I knew how to pronounce her first name. Breege? Brayge?

Sweetwater- Why oh Why?
I ask myself this question all the fucking time...never an answer. Great 60's band, though.

Fiona Joyce- Cry Over You
I'm in the mood for this- new on St.Clair records. Beautiful song, great voice and wonderful production.

Loreena McKennitt- Gates of Istanbul
Ahhhhhhh...sonic excellence.

Anuna- The Last Rose
I'm in a Green Zone today and this Celtic choir helps keep me there.

Stranglers- Let Me Down Easy
This request is unlikely to be granted. Life doesn't work that way. A better title would be : "Destroy me in under sixty seconds"

Pentangle- Mirage
Is this real? No.

Fairport Convention- The Way I Feel
If I felt as great as this song sounds, I'd be euphoric. Instead, I am merely delusional.

Claanad- The Other Side
Always wins.

Danielle Dax- The Wheeled Wagon
Hah! Take that!
This song brings back happy memories! Michael Hawkesworth, are you out there? ( MH was the original Breakfast Snob and the title of my programme is a tribute to him. I'd love to talk to him again...it's been 20 years). He turned me on to Dax.

Blonde Redhead- Slogan
Cheering up now...I have no idea what the French lyrics are saying, but I like the melody.

Can- Half Past One
If I am playing Can, I am in a good mood.

Funkadelic- This Broken Heart
"I got more faults than Carter's got little pills."

Gentle Giant- Free Hand
I am very luck to have a free hand in selecting my songs.

Damien Dempsey- The Jar Song
Buy his records.

Jethro Tull- Acres Wild
I'm being very optimistic here.

Pretty Things - She's a Lover
Of someone else.

Soft Machine- Why Are We Sleeping?
Why are we awake?

11 comments:

Faerie said...

Call the PAP hotline... seriously.. they get in touch with the DRUG company themselves... it may get your meds to you in a more acceptable quantity.

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm so sorry Allan, that truly sucks.

Todd and in Charge said...

Sorry about that, definitely get an internal appeal going asap.

Love the list -- Lady Writer, from Communique. I used to have the 8-track on that, loved the closing song. The brother should have never left the band....

AC'63 said...

Insurance and Pharmacys .. almost as bad as lawyers... Eldest has a script thats worth $500.. thankfully my company insuance covers it, but I can only get a 30 day supply at a time. So everytime he needs a refill, I have to call a week before hand so that they can authorize it.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

Ooh, the PAP hotline is an idea.

All I can tell you is that I was off my meds last week (and then discovered to be PMSing at the same time) and I am very, very, sorry you're going through this.

AngelConradie said...

oooh... rough start allan! things like that make me wonder why i'm paying a fortune for insurance!
i'm glad you finished in a better mood- nice selection!
btw- who is she?

Romeo Morningwood said...

I don't understand why Pharmaceutical Corporations are allowed to be such complete arseholes? They are EVIL.
I can't wait for Michael Moore's skewering...well, I hope it isn't too over the top.

The 'Drugs' that people need cost a fortune and 'Drugs' that people want keep coming down in price every year. Can you say free market.

Just say maybe to drugs.

yellowdoggranny said...

who makes your drug?..if it's bristal myers etc..they have a program for free drugs or discounted drugs...call bridges to access 1-866-patient for a application..or get it from your doctor...i did..and all my diabetes meds are free...
can check it on line..'
bridgestoaccess.gsk.com
ask your dr about it..and ask him about free samples for it too..

Allan said...

About the meds:

My Doc kicked Blue Cross' butt. It's been fixed already...seems that BC/BS insurance is a pet peeve of my Doc's. He is great!
Thanks to all for the advices and concerns...

Todd- Ah, 8-tracks...they sounded really good. Not kidding, they did. Unless they melted or broke...

AC- My Doc 'tripled' my dosage on paper so that a '30 day' lasts for 90 days and only costs one co-pay. Fight the system!

Angel- Who is who? Oh...right. Depends on which song you mean, I guess.

Homo-"I don't understand why Pharmaceutical Corporations are allowed to be such complete arseholes? They are EVIL."

Money trumps morality when it comes to American legislation. Most 'civilized' nations have national health and DON'T export land mines- we don't have healthcare and we DO export land mines.

Allan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

glad you got the med thing sorted. i've had problems with that too, and its a royal pain in the ass. the CVS people loooove to see the Anxiety Ridden girl out of meds trying to scrape up the cashola for the new script, which is just sitting there, i can see it.

moving on:

give me...your dirty loooove. god, i haven't heard that in forever. its gonna be stuck in my head all day.