Monday, August 27, 2007

Neurotica and Errata

Lots of debris in the water today. Some is flotsam, some is jetsam.

- I just saw George Bush give Hillary Clinton what will probably be a large spike in the polls- she was speaking at the Livestrong Cancer Forum, which cable news was carrying live- her speech was interrupted by a cutaway to Bush standing on the tarmac, announcing that Alberto Gonzales had finally resigned. (The Good News: Gonzales resigned! The Bad News: He was Attorney General for 2 1/2 years...)
When the broadcast returned to Clinton, she had the opportunity make a quick campaign speech, calling for the appointment of an honorable AG and a return to Constitutional law.
Was the timing of Bush's speech coincidental? Was it meant to interrupt Clinton's health-care speech or was it intended to give her ratings a boost by giving her the chance to give an immediate, high-profile response to the Presidential announcement? There are people on both sides who feel that the GOP wants the Dems to nominate Clinton; the tacit understanding being that America is not ready to elect a woman. I am not sure myself, but there's only one way to find out.

-One of my fantasy political tickets is Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt. Ted wouldn't be afraid of the insurance and pharmaceutical companies and Franklin was really good at creating social programs that actually worked. Sadly, they are both dead.
It's interesting to note that FDR was confined to a wheelchair during the latter days of his presidency and he still managed to unite the country and win WWII. By contrast, Bush is one of the healthiest Presidents on record and he has not only polarized the country into opposing camps with his artificially rigid Us/Them, Black/White, Red/Blue moral binary code ; he's also lost two wars, a major U.S. city and our global reputation.
I wish Steve Hawking were running (in a figurative sense) for President, but he is too smart for politics.

- I keep hearing variations of this statement: "I really like what Dennis Kucinich says. Too bad he can't get elected." Why can't he? He's smart, sincere, articulate and well-informed. He isn't afraid to tell you exactly what he thinks.
Oh.
He is a vegan. I'm guessing that the 25% of Americans who still support Bush think that vegan is synonymous with pagan. That same 25% haven't got a clue what pagans or vegans are, they just know that they are against them.

-I don't know if America is ready to elect a woman or a black man to the White House but I do know we aren't ready to vote for a vegetarian.

-I am hesitant to call Mike Vick's conviction 'good news'. 'Good news' would be waking up and realizing the whole sorry spectacle was just a fragment of a really bad nightmare. Justice? Maybe. Personally, I'd give him a football crafted from steak tartare and line him up against eleven hungry pit bulls- if he could score a 100-yard rushing touchdown through that pack, he'd be exonerated. Vick claims he has found God. This defense worked for Daniel- would it work for Vick?

-Note: If Vick were a high-profile Republican operative instead of an apolitical NFL athlete, he'd probably get a White House pardon and a photo-op with Barney, the Bush dog. Just sayin'.


- I have bad news. My grandmother is going back into the hospital tomorrow morning. She's been having chest pains and this morning her cardiologist said she was a "time bomb ready to explode" and that she needs at least one more 'stint' to fix heart blockage. It has to be done immediately. I'll be going home tomorrow so I can be there when she wakes up, but I am scared. I heard fear in my grandmother's voice. She hasn't sounded scared since 1990- the year my granpa died.
My dad has a laptop, so I hope I can post some good news soon.

- I hate hospitals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my play list from The New Breakfast Snob, Sunday Aug.26th.:

Chieftains- The Session
Blue Oyster Cult- Career of Evil
Pretty Things- Sickle Clowns
Alan Parsons Project- I Wouldn't Want to Be Like Dave
Captain Beefheart- Same Old Blues
Be Bop Deluxe- Blazing Apostles
Emerson Lake and Palmer- New Orleans
Little Feat- Old Folks Boogie
Hot Tuna- Keep on Truckin'
Jethro Tull- Journeyman
Bob Dylan- Mozambique
Tuxedomoon- Jinx
Snakefinger- 8 1/4
Cocteau Twins- Seekers are Lovers
Gong- Shamal
Steve Hillage- Serotonin
Damien Dempsey- Marching Season
Eleni mandell- I Believe in Spring

Guest DJ segment by my friend George:

Teddy Hill and His Orch.-Uptown Rhapsody
Roy Eldridge and his orch.-Wabash Stomp
Django Rhinehart- Limehouse Blues

Cool!

Back to me:

The Kinks- Death of a Clown
Danielle Dax- Ostrich
King Crimson- I Talk to the Wind
Can- She Brings the Rain
Soft Boys- Love Poisoning
Jefferson Airplane- Feel so Good

10 comments:

Craig D said...

As you said, good news and bad news.

I hope your Dad's laptop isn't still full of Sea Monkeys. Or am I getting some of these posts mixed up..?

Best wishes to your Grandma & family (which includes you!)

Todd and in Charge said...

Nice wrap up. Like the Vick comment and Barney.

Hey, I picked up the first Little Feat album the other day. Is it just me or is it a bit disappointing? I was expecting more, what with "Willin'" and "Truck Stop Girl."

yellowdoggranny said...

i threw things at my tv today when bush was on..then told vick to go fuck him self during his whine...I don't understand how so many people can find Jesus when he was never lost...
hope your grandma is going to be ok...call me if you need to..js

whimsical brainpan said...

You and your Grandma will be in my thoughts.

Great post btw.

Anonymous said...

So grandma was scared only once before and that was nearly 20 years ago? I'll start my prayers now for another 20 years. Keep us posted, and feel the love.

the rube said...

how you suffered for your sanity....

being sane can drive a guy nuts these days.

hope grandma is ok.

AngelConradie said...

so why not a vegan- what do they do that they can't be presidents?
love the music selection!

AngelConradie said...

sending you lots of cyber hugs and good wishes allan, i hope your gran can feel better soon!

Allan said...

CD- Mixed up? How could you tell?
Thanks for the wishes- I may do an entire show of faux Beatles covers if only...

TAIC- Don't remember that one too clearly...they were a better live band than a studio one... They were brilliant in concert.

JS- Aaargh on the TV news, Yay on the grandma news.

Rube- I am not gonna martyr myself to mental illness.Granda is improved, thanks!

Angel- It not the vegan that is the prob- it's the voters. They want meaty, starchy candidates.The bloodier, the better.
-Hugs-

Allan said...

JP- Thank you. 20 would make her 107...it could happen. Seriously.