Sunday, September 16, 2007

Wake and Snake

Yesterday was my 41st birthday. I spent most of the day waiting for someone who never showed up; eventually I took a chance and drove my faltering car to the supermarket. Sometimes it takes a looong time to start, so I brought a book with me, just in case.

Good thing that I did.

The weather was nice- I hung out in the Kroger parking lot, ate 'day-old' pastries and re-read a few chapters of Schrodinger's Cat. After a while my car decided to co-operate and I made it home in time to meet my aunt and uncle, who took me out to dinner. I have been living off of oatmeal , beans, rice etc. for weeks now, so I said fuck a bunch of healthy shit , give me some goddamn ribs!

Mmmm...a long-lost blogpal once informed me that the word sarcasm literally derives from ' rending of the flesh' (true!)- my meal was deliciously sarcastic! Dripping, it was!

This morning I had a guest in the studio- 'Schlep', who found my blog by Googling 'Snakefinger'
It turns out that not only does Schlep listen to a lot of the same music I do, he also lives in Richmond- one block from my house!
Part of my volunteer work involves finding and training new people for the station, but I never thought I'd be recruiting DJs via my blog- Schlep graciously brought coffee and muffins- if you think my coffee habit is exaggerated in this blog, it's not.
Now I have a witness.

Last week sucked. All I posted was a bunch of filler and a hastily spewed (and since revised) short story- but I forgot my playlist.
Oh well.
(If anyone cares, my playlists are also posted here.)

Anyway.

Here's this week's list:

The New Breakfast Snob, 9/15/2007

Dude. Your show is over in 45 seconds- you just started a four-minute song. A four-minute Contemporary Jesus song, no less- not on my time, you ain't...it gave me great pleasure to guillotine that motherfucker in mid-verse. Praise and Hallelujah!
Dude. If you think I'm just sore because your Redskins beat my Dolphins, you would be 99% correct...now excuse me while I kill your song and replace it with:

Gong
- Sprinkling of Clouds
Last night was the first time I've eaten red meat in weeks. This song is nearly nine minutes long...

Loreena McKennitt- Kecharitome
And this one is eight minutes...

Point Music Promo - Track #8
I wish I knew who the artist is...it's a 'promo' CD without any info on the artists at all...what kinda promo is that? I love this eastern-influenced string and percussion piece, whatever it is.

Steeleye Span- Johnny was a Shoemaker/ Lowlands of Holland
My guest, Schlep, is also a Fan of Span. Cool beans. Potatoes. Whatever.

West of Eden-Hide and Seek
From 2007. How unusual.

Altan- Stor A Stor A Ghra
I want more of this band.

Marian Bradfield- Please Don't Set Me Free
This is what happens when you start talking to things that aren't the microphone. In this instance, the thing was a person- I forget what I was saying, but I played this song by mistake.
This song wipes ass and we had to suffer through nearly the whole thing before I could find a fade point...I think. It was so traumatic that I've already repressed the memory. Sorry.

Claanad- Gathering Mushrooms
Meadow muffins and misty mornings...

Jefferson Airplane- Rock Me Baby
Bring it back home with some Blues- this live cut showcases Jorma Kaukonen and sounds a lot like early Hot Tuna... I wonder why?

Savoy Brown- Poor Girl
Ooops. I meant to play a different song- I guess that's appropriate , since this album is in the wrong cover...I purchased it that way and didn't even notice until I got home...tsk.

Big Brother & Big Holding Co- Keep On
This is after Janis...poor girl.

Snakefinger- Haven't Any Hay
From a 1984 live show, CD courtesy of Schlep.

Fiona Joyce- Cry Over You
Another 2007 release...ding.

Pentangle- Bruton Town
I'm shamrockin' out today!

Daevid Allen w/ Robert Wyatt- Memories
Memories will hang you up and haunt you...for instance, you might wind up spending your birthday alone in a heightened state of regret and anxious remorse.
Or a parking lot.
Or both.

Jethro Tull- Journeyman
By request. And yes, I set the freekin' satellite frequency thingamabob already...sheesh.

Fairport Convention- My Girl The Month of May/Million Dollar Bash
Sorry, didn't have any Dylan for the other request- I snuck in a Dylan cover instead.

Neil Young- Don't Let it Bring You Down
When I was a kid, I'd self-medicate my depression with this song. From this very copy, in fact...I never thought I'd be playing it on the radio for the same reason. Life is weird.

Aphrodite's Child- Good Time So Fine
It's all Greek to me.

Stranglers- Ships That Pass in the Night
One day I'm gonna do two hours of Stranglers. I can't wait to play Bring on the Nubiles...

10 CC- Sand in my Face
These guys listened to Frank Zappa and the Mothers.

Zappa and the Mothers- Happy Together
These guys are Frank Zappa and the Mothers.

Quicksilver Silver Messenger- It's Been Too Long
Great 60's guitar band -this album was produced by Nick Gravenites, who also sings on the Big Brother cut played earlier...some shoes are just to big to fill, ya know?

Pretty Things -She's A Lover
For Alexis B. I'm sorry.

Capt. Beefheart- Tropical Hot Dog Night
Dig the horns.

Pretty Things- Trust
Really. I am.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This man drinks coffee by the gallon, folks. He's not just saying that to show off.

Thanks for having me in the studio. I said I was going to be quiet and good but I'm afraid I was gibbering away and caused you to make some errors, sorry bout that!

Happy day-after birthday!

whimsical brainpan said...

Glad you had a good birthday.

Schrodinger's Cat is such an excellent book. Have you read the book he did with Shea?

more cowbell said...

Happy Birthday -- I didn't know that about sarcasm. Perfect!

Craig D said...

Gosh, sorry I missed your birthday day. As I recall, 41 was a pretty rank year for me, as well. My career tailspin was hitting full-stride, my Mom had been paralyzed and sileneced by a stroke and my wife and I made what appears to have been an ill-advised move to NC.

But I'm still around to tell the tale, as I hope you, too, will be.

That's cool that Schlep lives in your neighborhood! Hope you guys had fun during the sir shift.

Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! So far, the 40's have been great for me. I bet they will be for you as well.

Citymouse said...

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite bloggers.

AC'63 said...

Happy belated BDay!

the rube said...

happy birthday

long may you run

Todd and in Charge said...

Don't Let It Bring You Down -- off of Wings' London Town?

When did Neil cover that one? :)

BTW, you have been tagged.

Anonymous said...

pftybirthday...

AngelConradie said...

so the occasional studio glitch was "schlep" induced... or caffeine induced?
very cool list as always.
i woulda loved to spend your birthday with you, and i also love sarcasm- especially sweet and sour pork sarcasm!!!

Todd and in Charge said...

Listening to Hot Tuna's "I See the Light" right now....

yellowdoggranny said...

oh man!..I missed your birthday?...well happy fucking birthday..just remember ..today is the first day of the rest of your life...so don't fuck it up....