The Bad: Former NFL star Steve McNair was shot and killed Saturday by his 20-year old girlfriend, who then apparently shot herself. McNair was a tough-ass, competitive player, known for playing despite having serious injuries such as broken ribs and busted knees...injuries forced him to retire after 13 seasons but he had quite a respectable career,including playing in a Super Bowl that his team lost by one yard. That was heartbreaking.
McNair was sacked for a total of 254 times during his career - big, burly armored dudes were always trying to tackle him- but in the end, all it took was one bad relationship to bring him down forever.
I suppose there are worse things to die from than loneliness.
There is togetherness, for example. Instead of feeling sorry for myself for having a solitary "holiday", I should be thankful that I didn't get food poisoning at a picnic or murdered after a post-party quickie.
Sarah Palin's Latest Major Malfunction:
Sarah Palin just resigned as Governor of Alaska, citing, among other things, the fact that Alaska has investigated / is currently investigating over a dozen ethics complaints against her- she said she didn't want Alaskans to be burdened with the cost of these investigations- which are going to cost the same amount regardless of her job status- she also said this:
"I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks: travel around the state, to the Lower 48, maybe, overseas on international trade -- as so many politicians do," Palin mused. "And then I thought: That's what's wrong. Many just accept that lame-duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck and 'milk it.' I'm not putting Alaska through that."
Um, dude-lady, what is stopping you from eschewing all that "lame-duck" frivolity and just sticking with your job duties? I mean, other than the fact that you never really did them in the first place? Besides, what you describe above sounds an awful lot like campaigning for national office...
If, as some are wondering, this is a political move designed to help bolster Palin's chances at a 2012 White House run, it sure is an odd gambit. Imagine the bumperstickers:
-PALIN 2012-2014 1/2!
- SARAH 2012: BECAUSE AMERICA LOVES A QUITTER!
- PALIN 2012: THE BUCK NEVER STOPS
-(on Palin's car) THEY'RE PICKING ON ME!
Seriously, if you can't handle being "bullied" by the American press, you obviously don't have the spine required to fight terrorism...Osama bin-Laden is not intimidated by Katie Couric- ya know that, dontcha?
I have some theories:
- Someone (probably Satan) has offered her an enormous amount of money, money that she cannot legally accept while holding elected office. Being possessed of more avarice than patience, she bailed on her elected job because she wants her money now. All those clothes McCain bought for her in 2008 are waaay out of style, ya know?
- She did something really, really bad and she knows that it's only a matter of time before she gets busted for it...I mean, eventually, someone, somewhere, is going to realize that Alaska, which enforces State-controlled re-distribution of production revenue to individual citizens in the form of an annual check, is a borderline Socialist state- albeit a rather flush one.
Socialism, as campaigner Palin was fond of pointing out, is Bad.
Luckily for her, her supporters (like many Americans) can't offer up so much as a cursory definition of Socialism, only the vague but certain idea that it is Bad. Ooooo...scary!
- She wants to spend more time with her family. You betcha!
In any case, one of her supporters had this to say, emphasis added:
“And she has a following that will jump in front of a plane for her,” said John Coale, a lawyer who helped create her political action committee.
Dude, that is an odd choice of words. Very odd.
Personally, I am more than a little wary of political leaders with followers that are willing to use airplanes to commit suicide. There's an ugly precedent for that.