Friday, June 29, 2007

Roll Yourself Up


Is there anybody out there who doesn't understand the basic idea of Role-Playing Games (RPG's) in general and Dungeons and Dragons in particular?

Anyone?

Today, you can play D&D on your laptop ,but back in the old days we played it on a tabletop. A tabletop is not a form of computer, it's just the top of a table.

(A table is like a desk- only unlike a desk, you are supposed to eat at a table)

One person would assume the role of Dungeon Master, or DM. The DM's job in the game was to make stuff up. The DM would have an entire fantasy world mapped out , along with a general background story for the various regions and a few highly-detailed adventure scenarios for actual gameplay. The DM served as a sort of live-action interactive storyteller, explaining the settings and situations to the players-or Player Characters (PCs) - who would assume a 'fantasy' persona such as a wizard, warrior, priest or thief and respond to the information presented by the DM. A snippet of a D&D game might sound something like this:

DM: " You hear a rumbling, crashing sound in the forest to your right, it gets noticeably closer, and you can tell that it is the sound of large trees falling. It sounds like something big is
coming, and fast."

PC 1, Fighter: " I draw my sword!"

PC 2, Wizard: " I cast a protection from evil spell."

PC 3, Thief : (in a written note handed to DM): "I pickpocket gold from PC2 while she's distracted."

DM (Rolls dice) : " Wizard, you notice a tugging at your belt- it's the thief and his hand is in your purse. Meanwhile, a hungry manticore has lunged out of the woods and is charging directly at you. What do you do?"


The DM and players used polyhedral dice with 4, 6 , 8, 10,12 and 20 sides to generate the results of the various combats, magic spells, thieving endeavors, etc. that would take place. Events and actions were assigned a hierarchy of probabilities/outcomes and the results thereof would be determined by a combination of the DM's intent and a series of random numbers.

To generate a random number between, say, 2-16, one would roll a pair of eight-sided dice , or d8s. D&D dice came in a huge variety of colors and materials and were collected , envied and admired in much the same way that previous generations venerated glass marbles. Oooh, a glow-in-the dark d20! A transparent d4! A loaded d6! Cool!

These same dice were used to create (or "roll up") the player's characters, who were comprised of a series of attributes: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution and Charisma. The normal human range was based on a bell-shaped curve between 3-18; for example, a character with a Strength of 18 could knock most ordinary doors down with little effort, while one with a STR of 3 could scarcely slice bread.

(Typically, 3 d6 were used (3-18), although I usually allowed the PCs to roll 4 d6 and keep the highest 3 dice.)

Most 'normal' humans fall into the 9 to 11 range, but the fantasy characters generally needed above average scores in order to survive very long, hence the best 3 dice of 4 mentioned in the preceding paragraph. (A weak Fighter would not win many battles, a stupid Wizard couldn't cast many spells, etc...)

Each player also chose a class (profession) , such as magic-user, bard or fighter; a race -human, elf, dwarf etc , and an alignment- a moral compass to act under: Evil, Neutral or Good, which could be further catergorized as Lawful ,Chaotic or Neutral.




As these characteristics and attributes were determined, the players would write them down on a 'character sheet' ( piece of loose-leaf paper), which would be modified as the persona gained experience and powers over the course of their adventures. It might look like this (sans comments, of course):

Name: Mungo the Mighty

Class: Fighter ( uses all weapons and armor skillfully, cannot cast spells)
Level ( how skilled/experienced the PC is): 2 - barely starting, has killed a few goblins and a dozen giant rats .

Race: Human.

Alignment: Lawful Good- Mungo is an obedient, good-willed Boy Scout at heart.

STRength: 18- maximum 'normal' strength. Mungo is buff! If he hits you, it is gonna hurt.

INTelligence: 7- Mungo have hard time make complete sentence. He is vulnerable to mind-control magic.

WISdom: 12 - Mungo has enough sense to ask the Wizard for help with his grammar.

DEXterity: 14- Mungo is agile, making him a harder target to hit in battle. He's a good shot with a longbow.

CONstitution: 15- Mungo is quite healthy. He can withstand more punishment than most folks and rarely gets ill. He is somewhat resistant to ordinary poisons.

CHArisma: 6- Mungo's face has launched a thousand whips. Mungo is also sort of a drag to be around; Mungo lack tact but Mungo not care. You behave or Mungo be mad. Not many friends for Mungo.

Hit Points: 22 - For an unseasoned warrior, Mungo is very durable. (Zero hit points = dead)

What kind of character would you be? Here is myself in D&D terms:

Name: Me
Class: Bard - Bards are adventuring storytellers and musicians. They are mediocre fighters, have some thieving skills and can cast low-level magic spells. Their songs can inspire their comrades, giving the entire group bonuses in combat and other perilous situations. They are otherwise pretty useless. Not many people play them as characters.

Level : 8- I'm OK, but there are an awful lot of bards who are better.
Alignment: Chaotic Good - I try to follow my conscience; I despise rules, unless I have a say in making them. I change my mind but not my convictions.

Race: Human

STR: 13 - Me is a lot stronger than he looks. Me was once the arm-wrestling champ at his buddy's tattoo parlor . Me beat a bunch of burly dudes in an impromptu tournament, probably the most macho moment of Me's entire life.

INT: 25- This is as high as human intelligence gets in the game. The rules need to be re-written to accomodate Me's enormous intellect- and Me is just the man to do it, being a super-genius and all .

WIS: 6 (3) -Me really should know better, but he keeps making the same mistakes over and over. Me's high INT tells him he's doing dumb stuff, but Me's low WIS lets him do it anyway. The parenthetical '3' reflects Me's minus-three penalty when dealing with the opposite sex.

DEX: (14) 11- Me used to be quite nimble, but illnesses and injuries have permanently lowered this score. Two surgeries on his left arm, broken ankles on both legs, etc...currently 11, was 14 at first-level. Still OK. Dancing incurs an additional penalty of minus 4.

CON: (17) 13- Years of drugs and booze have caused a permanent minus-4 penalty here, but Me never would have survived at all without a really high base CON score. Currently 13, was reduced to 0 at one point , late 2005. Zero CON= dead.
That was why Me quit drinking.


CHA: 8- Yeah, Me may be beautiful, but if Me rates his own INT at 25, Me must be crazy in a delusional and possibly dangerous way, and that personality defect lowers his CHA to the point where the rules say Me can't even be a Bard , much less an accomplished one.
A truly great bard has a high charisma score and performs for royal audiences- Me has a garage band that plays at open mic night and keggers. Mungo plays drums.


Hit Points: 50- For a wimpy bard, I'm frustratingly difficult to kill.

Notes: Me suffers a minus-3 penalty to Wisdom when interacting with human women.
Me also gets an additional 3 bard songs per day, as Me is abnormally prolific.


Here's a blank sheet. Roll yourself up and paste it somewhere. Special powers are OK. Be psionic. Or not.

Name:
Class:
Level:
Alignment:
Race:

STR:
INT:
WIS:
DEX:
CON:
CHA:

Hit Points:

Notes:

18 comments:

Fringe Element Enthusiast said...

I had a character when I played when I was lad named Yorgs Ironwolf. Doofy name for sure but I was all full of Conan books and films in my head and don't even remember why I thought it sounded cool. I still think I have a short story around that I wrote about him. I remember also having two sets of lead characters that you could paint, I'm pretty sure I still have them too.

I don't D&D anymore, but I think that my past may be the reason why I like the constructable stragedy game Pirates.

Allan said...

It's why I like Civ IV.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Well done. I once thought that the human species would devolve into solitary androbots living in the deafening silence of their dark unit in an grey 800 storey apartment block playing online 24/7 and rarely if ever coming into contact with the rw.

However. All of that changed when my 16 yr old Son and his friends (who have all spent most of their lives playing with electronic devices of one type or another) made the transition to shooting each other with airsoft rifles in the backyard and actually getting dirty at an outdoor paintball range.

Old School or what!

I never saw that one coming...they even hang out with girls and play guitar hero!

more cowbell said...

Ooh, fun, I'm going to have to do this from home. With a glass of Red.

This reminded me that back in the day, when I was still freshfaced and married, the Ex and I had one of the very first computerized D&D type games. (I think it was called Phantasy?) This was back in Commodore 64 days. The game came on a cassette tape. One of us would start the tape loading so it would be ready to go by the time the other got home from work. We were completely addicted. I remember we had one character named Slug. Strong as an ox, dumb as a box, that was our Slug Mantra. Fun times.

Also, when I was in the military, there was this soldier, Virginia Taylor, who was apparently a serious dungeon dweller. We all worked in a top secret comms facility. One day a Crypto Card turned up missing. We were on lock down until it was found. She was the last person to have it. She insisted that it could NOT have been her fault. Finally she says the reason she KNOWS it wasn't her is that she was wearing her boots of protection. (They looked like combat boots to me.)

Yeah, that didn't go over too well.

Fun post.

yellowdoggranny said...

arghghgh ..this brings back bad memories when my middle kid thom and his weird little buddies would come over and play dungeons and dragons for fucking ever...I had inherited some money about then so I bought him all the books, and stuff that went with it..they would play for hours and I would have to feed and give them drink for all this time..little fuckers like to have ate me out of house and home..but at least he wasn't out breaking and entering like his older brother...

the rube said...

my son had games of this that lasted forever. i hope it's out of his system. paying a fortune in university tuition for a kid to play dungeons and dragons was never on my wish list.

whimsical brainpan said...

I can tell a little about the character I used to play.

Name: Illustra
Class: Wizard
Level: 12
Alignment: Chaotic good
Race: Silver Elf

Close guesstimates
STR: 16
INT: 22
WIS: 20
DEX: 18
CON: 17
CHA: 20

I don't remember how many hit points I had.

She is a time and battle tested character. She, along with her comrades killed Mephistopheles. We kicked ass!

Sling said...

I was Faro,..Dwarf fighter theif!
I don't remember too many of the other particulars 'cause my greed usually got me killed pretty quick.

Citymouse said...

as much of a dork that I am / was , i avoided d&d with my sexy talk and ablitiy to do shots--- funny, sometimes I wish I had learned--- but most times not!

CS said...

Whew - I think I read this too early in the morning! I couldn't even tell you exactly what we're talking about. Now my head hurts. I'm going to go make some coffee.

CS said...

Except, I will add that this got me: "I'm frustratingly difficult to kill." I want that quality in real life!

Faerie said...

ummmm you lost me .. wayyyyyyyy back at the D on the dice thing...

is there a mushroom eating fairy? ... ill just dust people...

AngelConradie said...

um... i never played any of those games, so i'm going to have to come back to this when i'm awake enough to concentrate... lmao!

AngelConradie said...

okay- read it through a coupla times so i could understand it properly- then i went and rolled ‘3d6’ at hamete.org for my ‘str’, ‘int’, ‘wis’, ‘dex’, ‘con’, ‘cha’ and ‘hit points’… just for authenticity you know...
name: dragon angel (could i be anything else in a rpg…?)
class: magic user (well… how could i now be, i mean, what dragon isn’t?)
level: 2 (since i’m newly arrived to the rpg scene)
alignment: lawful good (coz that’s me anyway)
race: wyvern (a winged two legged dragon, fyi)
str: 15 (dragons are physically powerful so this is good)
int: 9 (not bad- they are known for being intelligent after all)
wis: 13 (niiiice! fits the stories too)
dex: 11 (not bad since i don’t have hands as such)
con: 10 (okay, this is looking pretty good)
cha: 9 (well… depends who’s looking, she rates herself a 50…)
hit points: 10 (ooer, ouch! bit rough for a beginner!)
notes: i reckon this could be fun, i like dragons and i like fantasy stories!!!

TiG said...

It's gaming...REAL LIVE gaming!!

I still play tabletop D&D with 8 of my closest friends every Sunday.

It's more fun than Parcheezi.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://humumupa.dreamstation.com/samojoxy.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just joined but I am looking forward to getting involved here. I have had quite a bit of experience with disobedient dogs...I have had some successful experiences and not so successful experiences. Let me catch up on some reading but glad to be here.

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I started take up real income.
It gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]