Thursday, July 12, 2007

Got Schmooze?



I'd like to thank my stalwart blogpal Sling for this award, even if I'm a bit mystified as to what I did to earn it. A 'community involvement/schmoozing' award is an odd thing for a self-professed subversive, reclusive, anarchistic, iconoclastic and downright anti-social Intertube crackpot to receive...or is it? Up is down, war is peace and American Idol is entertainment, so I suppose that by following that logic, I must be a pillar of strength in the blogosphere; a regular paragon of virtual virtue.

My award-winning humility is one of my myriad superlative qualities, but my rockin' modesty prevents me from listing them all- one of the drawbacks to being the Most Humble Man on Earth is that it doesn't come with bragging rights...but I can boast about some of the people who are lucky enough to have 'met' me online, er, uh...I mean that I have been fortunate enough to meet.
Yeah. That's it.

#1) Whim: Last year, quite a few bloggers with whom I had a passing acquaintance received emails regarding me from a shamelessly self-important blogger with a marginal messiah complex- he was warning them of my nefarious plan to commit suicide on-air during my Sunday morning radio show. I was one of the last people to hear of my own plans, very few folks took the time to write to me and ask me what was going on; most simply accepted this self-appointed arbiter of Blog behavior at his word.
I frequently point out the perils and folly of believing unsubstantiated claims without checking the sources, but a few readers did write to me and ask WTF? Whim was one of them. Whim understands what it feels like to be a survivor, and although we both get depressed at times, neither one of us is in need of a suicide watch. I quit drinking in order to live, not die- that's a major theme of my writing since my illness of 2005. Whim, who has fought to survive as hard as any human can possibly fight, understood this and after a short time she became one of my favorite penpals of all time. Her support during a period when it felt as if nearly the entire blogiverse had turned against me - for no reason- was invaluable in keeping me 'in the game'. I sure hopes she gets back on-line soon.

#2) Jackie Sue :Yellowdog Granny isn't old enough to be my grandmother, but she's cool enough to be my mom. Even her bad moods are funnier than 10,000 sitcoms, and when she starts dissecting the news and adding her own observations, you can see well how she uses humor to cope with a world that she is unblissfully aware of. I am glad she is my friend, because she'd be a formidable adversary. You absolutely DO NOT fuck with her.
Freya watches over this one.
'Nuff said.
(Under those big Texas Titties beats a heart of gold- see her latest post for details.)

#3) Angel: Like Whim, I was introduced to Angel by a blogger who no longer talks to me, but that's OK because Angel still does. She's a unique woman with a heavy load- but she bears it with dignity, humor and just the right amount of outrage. She is active in many blogging groups and has won so many awards that I fear her blog may tip sideways from the weight of all the trophies on her sidebar, but hey, what's one more? I am out-of-my-territory when it comes to child-rearing, but Angel seems to understand parenting and she knows how to get involved with web-networks of parents with similar situations and understands the importance of the support these groups provide. For that alone, she deserves this 'community' award.
(It's a secret fantasy of mine to start a communal ranch and raise domesticated mythological beasts. Angel would be my Dragon-Keeper)

#4) Skeet: I honestly don't know Skeet all that well, but she is an extraordinarily prolific blogger and I especially enjoy her observations on living in Hawaii- it's not what you get from the travel brochures. At one point -perhaps even now- she had numerous blogs on various hosts- like Angel, her sidebar is choc-a-bloc with accolades and blogger community widgets - Skeet does do some 'Post-for-Pay' work and she has been back-handedly criticized for that, but I would like to come to her defense: Life is hard and expensive, her blogs are well-written and she has told me she would not endorse products she found distasteful- I say if she can make a few extra bucks by doing something harmless that she obviously enjoys, then she deserves some respect- a few paid posts, contrary to the opinions of some, will not ruin blogs, blogging or the blogosphere. For all I know, those paid posts might be what pays her Internet bills and make the whole blog possible...always check your facts and sources before you presume to attach motives to the actions of others. Oh yeah, she has some great pics too...except maybe the fried food...that looked nasty, heheh.

#5) Cruel Virgin, AKA, Enemy of the Republic: Anyone who can get 71 comments and answer all of them must be doing something that involves the 'blogging community', the fact that she manages to upset, piss-off and generally outrage some truly stupid commenters indicates that she must be doing something right- she's spiritual, but not dogmatic- I suspect that it's her never-ending critical examination of the Divine that upsets the nutjobs, at least one of whom seems to really, really want to sleep with her, despite her frequently mentioned marriage . That thinly veiled desire is about the only comment from that person that makes sense to me. Smart women are sexy as hell and EotR is very smart.


#6) CS- CS has picked up on the usefulness of blog as therapy, she's had some major turmoil but manages to find some peace and beauty -or at least insight and irony- in nearly all her works. I think she's be a fun person to hike with..."ooooh, look at this" would be a phrase heard often, I imagine. Did I mention that smart women are sexy?
There is a cleansing, transitional quality to her recent posts, which seem to appear every sixty seconds or so, complete with photos that bring vicarious joy to my precarious state of mind.
For these brief moments of beauty, I have added one more blogger to the mandated list of five.
I never was very good at following rules...some are better broken.

#7) Craig D.- CD understands the beauty of truly cheesy LPs and he is an unabashed punster. I find these to be admirable qualities. It wasn't until recently that I found out that he also has a history of Rockin'...on the trombone! I think he eventually switched to MIDI banjo or something...in any case, he's almost as famous as I am, so you better treat him right. Don't misunderestimate the trombonist -or bassist or whatever- if you can play original music in front of a live audience, you are already ahead of 9o% of people who merely own a musical instrument. Keep on 'Bonin'!

NEXT: Bridges, and how to burn them.

10 comments:

Sling said...

I knew I could count on you to run with the ball!
I'm a huge fan of Yellowdog G.,and CS,and you nailed their most admirable qualities.
I'm off to check on all the others you mentioned. :)

yellowdoggranny said...

bless you my child...

Anonymous said...

Mahalo Allan! I'm quite flattered by your kind words. My arms don't look like that, though. I have old lady flab that looks like it will turn into bat wings in another year or two. Does that disqualify me? :0D

more cowbell said...

Congrats! You're the schmooziest, baby! And your descriptions of your schmoozees (you know, schmoozer, schmoozee) are great -- I think YDG is a kick, and am going to check out the others.

And for Skeet and the pay for post crap -- I tell you what, as a single mom whose Ex is about to slash support for the 2nd time in a year, I'd rather be home writing to get the bills paid then off slinging coffee after my 9 - 5. Lord knows what those teenangels would get into with even more unsupervised time. So yeah, your whole deal of checking things out before getting your judgement on is the way to go.

Anyway, your descriptions were wonderful, I'll definitely check these guys out.

Faerie said...

OHHHHHHHHH I totally think there needs to be a stupid nonsense blogger award. .... I got that one hands down. *grin*

Congrats on yours!!!

Craig D said...

Wow, thanks, Allan! I accept this highly coveted SCHMOOZIE award on behalf of indentured junior trombonists everywhere.

That trombone story has won me two such awards! I guess the lesson here is, "Never underestimate the power of a $15 trombone."

whimsical brainpan said...

Wow Allan, thank you. I am very touched (but then you knew that ;-). And I am very glad that you've kept blogging.

CS said...

Thank you so much and also congratulations to you. "Every sixty seconds or so" made me laugh. But hey, for the record - I posted nothing at all yesterday. Oh, and my arms do look EXACTLY like that.

Allan said...

Sling- I will run with anything I can get my mitts on. Except I can barely walk...I think my knee died, but I don't know why.

JS- thanks Freya

Skeet- Oatmeal and barbells...it cures everything, but no arms needed.
You can be a brain-in-a-jar and still qualify!

Whim- Touched or 'tetched'? Been missin' you.

CD- Most guitar players secretly yearn to be trombonists, but the trombone is hard to play.

CS- "But hey, for the record - I posted nothing at all yesterday."
I missed the dates, my mind was full of visions of flowers and gators. And arms.

AngelConradie said...

woohoo- way cool dude!!! thank you muchly!!! i see i'm in excellent company- i must pop round to all o' them soonest!